To see someone home and I mean our real home in Heaven, is the most incredible experience that I have ever had the privileged to participate in. My Father's last week of life was lived with my siblings, my Mom and myself. We left our homes and families to see my Dad to his final home. It was six days of ups and downs. We knew he was dying and we cried, we laughed at our memories and most importantly we prayed, we prayed hard. We were diligent in this spiritual battle. Because it is a battle at the end of one's life. You have forces of good and evil that both fight for the soul. That week, what I saw, what I experienced will be ever etched upon my mind and my soul. We were fortunate to have some incredible priests that were with us each day. The Latin Mass was said at my Dad's bedside, he had Extreme Unction everyday along with confession and communion. One night one of the priests was keeping vigil at an abortion clinic he was finished at 4 a.m. and knowing we would be up, stopped over and had adoration at my Dad's bedside. How lucky we were to have such devoted priests. This is what it is all about and these priests knew that.
I know we stood at the threshold of this life and the next and we felt it. It is a sacred place to be and one that should be treated as such. I thank our Lord for this life changing experience and I do mean life changing. No not just because my Father is gone but because I was there. I was at that threshold and I along with my siblings and Mom helped my Dad fight that good fight. We did not allow evil in and I can tell you it was most definitely banging on the door and sometimes creeping in the windows. We said NO, you shall not pass, you have no power here. It was a fight well fought and we couldn't have done without first and foremost Our Lord, Our Lady, all the Saints and Angels and of course each other. We were always a close family but this has bonded us beyond mere words can describe.
So much happened that week and I know I will never be able to explain it to anyone who was not there but I am grateful for it and I am honored and privileged that our good and gracious Lord allowed a sinner such as me to be present at such a Holy event. I pray that I will die as my Dad did. He showed us how to live by his generous heart and charitable ways. His heart overflowed with love for his wife, his children, his faith, and the unborn. That week he also showed us how to die with dignity and grace. He was in so much pain and he said," I offer this up for Mommy." As the pain intensified he didn't complain he simply said, "Oh Boy!!" I will forever love this man who has taken so little and given so much. This world has lost a great one but he remains in our hearts and we will carry on his legacy which is our Faith and to stand up for the unborn to be their voice. We won't let you down Daddy, we promise.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment